Aura Leisurelink Navan
- Project Category: Sports and Leisure
- Project Name: Aura Leisurelink Navan
- Client: Meath Borough Council
- Location: Windtown Road, Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland
- Architect: Newenham Mulligan & Associates
The Navan Leisure Centre is a feature building designed by NMA Architects as the flagship to be a memorable addition to the Council’s public facilities.
Phase 1 consisted of a pool hall enclosed by curtain walling and a timber glulam roof structure. The structure is supported by raking circular steel columns carrying curved laminated timber beams covered by timber planks and a standing seam aluminium roof, including brise soleil. The hall includes concrete terraced seating, flume, children’s pool and jacuzzi. Adjacent to the hall , separated by curtain walling is a two storey entrance foyer with reception leading to changing facilities below the terraced seating formed in finished concrete walling and open plan stairs to upper floor exercise area and offices. Pool Plant was placed below and beside the pool deck.
Phase 2 was a longitudinal extension of Phase 1 including more spacious exercise facilities and externally enclosed and floodlit all- weather five - a - side football pitches. The externals of the pool are set off in low sweeping mounds bordering extensive parking facilities and metal escape bridges from the upper level which pass over the rear service way.
Phase 2 of the project was sequenced in specific phases of construction to ensure the existing facilities were to remain in full operation.
- Highly Commended in Opus Building of the Year Awards 2000
- Selected for Exhibition RIAI Regional Awards 2001
- Demolition & alteration works within the existing building
- Stripping, levelling, grading & stoning of the site to the required formation
- Construction of the new extension including M&E installations
- Relocation of the existing portacabins
- Construction of new fencing & repairs to existing boundaries & new roads paths/paving’s
- Construction of drains, sewers, water mains & ducting for underground services
- Construction of new synthetic pitches
- Landscaping & grass reinstatement.