- Project Category: Residential
- Project Name: Burren Meadows
- Client: Apex Housing Association Ltd
- Location: Burren Meadow, Castlewellan Road, Newcastle, BT33 0JQ, N.I.
- Architect: Hamilton Architects
Burren Meadows is a Social Housing Development, constructed on behalf of Apex Housing Association.
The residential development features 147 social housing dwellings including bungalows, 3 and 4-bedhouses and apartments, located at Castlewellan Road in Newcastle.
Due to the fact that the site was bounded by Burren River, the site was bounded by a flood defence wall and was in flood plane - high water table. Additional care was taken to eliminate pollution through adoption of Spill kits, environmental training and special re-fuelling training carried out for machine drivers.
The site was situated within the town centre, which was adjacent to local businesses and residents; therefore phased construction was carried out to ensure the health and safety of locals.
Meeting the highest standards in energy efficiency was our focus for this project as each house type incorporates the latest energy efficiency technology, including heat recovery units, photovoltaic solar panels and low-energy light fittings.
The 960W photovoltaic system installed in each house generate electricity, so the tenant can use what is produced instead of the mains supply.
Each unit was designed to Lifetime Homes Criteria, complied with secure by design criteria and also complied with Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3.
Works also included the removal of contaminated land off-site, and the redevelopment of the brownfield, low lying site.
Site drainage works, installation/relocation of new services including BT, NIE, & NI Water, full landscaped/boundary fencing and diving walls were constructed with the formation of two floor swales (design raised the site by 1m acting as a trough for storm overflow).
Phased construction was carried out as the site was surrounded by a residential area.
- Procurement Route: NEC Option B
- Live site; Town Centre location
- Brownfield, low laying site – contaminated soil
- Site was bounded by a flood defence wall & was bounded by Burren River & care was taken to eliminate pollution through adoption of spill kits, environmental training & special re-fuelling training carried out for machine drivers
- Formation of two floor swales (design raised the site by 1m acting as a trough for storm overflow)
- Formation of entrance, sight lines from Castlewellan Road, roads, paths, car-parking
- Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Units designed to Lifetime Homes Criteria, Secure by Design criteria & Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3
- Air tightness testing
- PV Panels