Carnbeg Hotel (Ramada Resort)
- Project Category: Hotels
- Project Name: Carnbeg Hotel (Ramada Resort)
- Client: Carnbeg Developments
- Location: Armagh Road, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland
- Architect: Van Dijk Architects
The project consisted of the construction of a new 84 bedroom hotel, leisure complex and night club on the outskirts of Dundalk, Co. Louth.
The development was split into three blocks; the north block which housed the bar, restaurant, reception and kitchen areas with four-storeys of bedroom accommodation above the ground level and a basement under the reception and kitchen areas. The West Block included a conference centre, swimming pool, steam room, sauna and spa. The balance consisted of a night club and fitness centre. The total floor area of the building was approximately 7500m².
The building consisted of a mix of steel and in situ concrete structural frames, with brick/block external walling combined with composite cladding and curtain walling. Internal partitions were generally metal stud construction.
The key features of this project was that the building was constructed in the middle of an 18 hole golf course which remained in full operation throughout the duration of the works. The programme for the works was extremely tight at 13 months and was successfully handed over in time.
In order to reduce pressure on the construction programme a number of innovative measures were introduced including: Use of pod bathrooms, manufactured by an Italian Company in premise in the Czech Republic.
- New 4 storey hotel & leisure complex
- Demolitions of the existing building
- Traditional construction; spilt into 3 blocks
- Facilities includes; A bar, restaurant, reception & kitchen areas, conference centre, 20m swimming pool, fitness centre with Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, gymnasium & a nightclub
- Pod bathroom manufactured in Czech Republic installed
- Ancillary site works
- Resident car park
- Landscape works
- Stripping out of existing furniture & fittings including floor finishes/Kitchen unit fixtures & fittings/ bathrooms fitted furniture to common areas & bedrooms
- Tight programme: 13 months to completion
On this occasion in my encounter with O’Hare and McGovern, I found them to be a diligent contractor; they delivered a very high quality building within budget and on schedule. Mr Philip Kirk - Carnbeg Developments