Carrick Primary School
- Project Category: Primary
- Project Name: Carrick Primary School
- Client: The Department of Education
- Location: 61 Ballydesland Road, Burren, Warrenpoint, Co. Down, BT34 3QA, N.I.
- Architect: Isherwood & Ellis
Carrick Primary School transformed its current building into a modern educational facility, fully equipped for 21st century learning and we at O’Hare & McGovern are proud to be involved in delivering this prestigious development.
Works consisted of the removal and relocation of the existing mobile classrooms, demolition of the existing school and the construction of a new single story school with associated site works.
The site was accessed from the Ballydesland Road and a new access road was constructed to accommodate access to the new school from the Bridge Road. The building itself is accessed by main entrance doors on the West elevation, facing towards the Ballydesland Road and the new car park.
The building is a contemporary design, utilising traditional materials. It is a cranked rectangular in plan, with each area connected by a main corridor. The school is comprised of 14 class bases, resource areas, a multi-purpose hall, resource rooms, offices, stores and a separate dining area. Full height curtain walling systems and roof lights were used where possible, to provide natural lighting into class bases, resource areas and the dining hall area.
With 401 pupils currently enrolled and 40 staff, this rural school has been an invaluable resource for the local community for more than 70 years.
OHMG registered the project with the Considerate Constructors Scheme as we are committed to the Scheme’s Code of Considerate Practice which ensures we are considerate, good neighbours, clean, respectful, safe, environmentally conscious, responsible and accountable.
- Accommodates 401 students with 14 classrooms
- Live, restricted site adjacent residential area
- Demolitions; removal & relocation of existing mobile classrooms & demolitions of existing School
- Significant amount of rock encountered on site during phase 1 which had to be broken out
- Facilities includes; library, multi-purpose hall, resource areas, grass Gaelic football pitch, soft play area, reception area, offices & tarmac playground
- Diversion/Installation of utilities; water, electricity & gas
- Full height curtain walling systems
- Special Education Department
- Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Bus turning area with drop off areas & car parking facilities