IFA National Football Stadium Redevelopment at Windsor Park
- Project Category: Sports and Leisure
- Project Name: IFA National Football Stadium Redevelopment at Windsor Park
- Client: Irish Football Association (IFA)
- Location: Donegall Ave, Belfast, BT12 6LW, N.I.
- Architect: Hamilton Architects
The project was the design, development and construction of the National Stadium at Windsor Park with the provision of new stands with associated demolition, temporary works and refurbishment works to the existing stands, increasing stadium capacity from approximately 12,000 to approximately 18,000.
The stands incorporated changing, training, hospitality, media, comfort, office, and storage facilities. This project was subject to availability of grant funding through the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure. Public investment by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) was required, inter alia, to promote sustainable economic development, maximise social returns and tackle socio-economic inequalities.
The new stadium was designed and constructed to meet UEFA stadium category 4 standards with the upgrading of all existing access and egress points throughout the grounds to comply with UK Safety at Sports Grounds legislation and guidance, including acoustic improvements.
The works provided an 18,000 seated capacity National Football Stadium, comprising: demolition of the south and east stands and erection of replacement south and east stands; refurbishment and extension of north stand; replacement flood lighting; coach and car parking; player accommodation and welfare facilities; ground support facilities including electronic display installations, hard and soft landscaping and storage facilities associated with ground maintenance; development of ancillary office accommodation, conference, training and community facilities; temporary construction access; upgrade of pedestrian access points and boundary fencing.
The stands included for full mechanical and electrical installations, hospitality and refreshment outlets, toilets, indoor training/warm up areas, storage areas, offices, media rooms, changing/shower rooms, retail/museum area and ticket outlets. In addition to the stands, the work also included associated safety and accessibility ground improvements, turnstiles, site works, external lighting, a new pitch with under pitch heating and drainage. The Stadium remained operational on match days throughout the construction works.
There was a Pre-Construction Period of 10 weeks, a mobilisation period of two weeks and a Construction Period of 19 months which included sequencing of construction to make the facilities available for match fixtures throughout construction.
- CEF Overall Project of the Year 2016
- CEF Commercial Construction award 2016
- State of the art UEFA category 4 stadium
- 18,000 seated capacity National Football Stadium
- Demolition of the existing south and east stands & erection of replacement south & east stands
- Replacement flood lighting
- Electronic display installations
- Refurbishment and extension of north & west stands
- Player accommodation & welfare facilities
- Conference, training & community facilities
- Other facilities include; Café, Health & Fitness suites, Sports Hall, Studios & ancillary accommodation
- New car parks, pedestrian access points & boundary fencing