Material Surface Science Institute (MSSI)
- Project Category: Further Education
- Project Name: Material Surface Science Institute (MSSI)
- Client: University of Limerick
- Location: University of Limerick, National Technological Park, Co. Limerick, Ireland
- Architect: Scott Talon Walker
The three storey extension was constructed in front of the existing Materials and Surface Science Institute (MSSI) building, located on the main campus of the University of Limerick
The project was carried out in one phase which consisted of the construction of an office and laboratory extension to the existing building. The extension comprised three floors over a basement area.
The 2,425m² extension provides 13 specialist laboratories, offices, meeting rooms, a lecture theatre and other spaces for research staff including wet labs, fume hood intensive, laboratory support, vibration sensitive labs cellular and seminar rooms. The facility houses two highly-specialised equipment laboratories to house nationally unique instruments; solid state nuclear magnetic resonance and time of flight secondary ion mass spectrometers.
The institute houses a multidisciplinary team of scientists (chemistry, materials science, physics and biochemistry) and engineers (mechanical, aeronautical, biomedical, manufacturing and electronic) who undertake research in the design, synthesis, processing, characterisation and modelling of materials. This fundamental research centre may help provide important information on how natural bone grows or assist in developing new, artificial bone materials.
Mechanical services includes; site services heating centre installation, soils and wastes installation, water services installation, gas services installation, space heating installation, air-conditioning and ventilation services installation protective services installation. Other specialist services include Lab Gases, Phoenix Control System, Lab Gas Detection and a Building Management System.
The façade achieved an airtightness value of 3.5m³/hr/m².
- Extension to the Leading Centre in Ireland for research in Materials & Surface Science
- Traditional Procurement Route
- New build extension; three storey building (2,425m² GFA); creates 80% increase on current space
- Facilities include; offices, research laboratory facilities, meeting rooms & roof level plant rooms
- Promenade staircase
- Researchers’ garden with views over the river & landscape beyond
- Relocation of substation
- Restricted site on live University campus – programmed works to co-ordinate around exam periods
- Two other construction projects were also proceeding on the campus during works
- Stream rungs immediately adjacent to site – we ensured the stream was not polluted throughout works