Queens Elms Student Village
- Project Category: Student Accommodation
- Project Name: Queens Elms Student Village
- Client: Queen’s University Belfast
- Location: 78 Malone Rd, Belfast, BT9 5BW, N.I.
- Architect: Robinson Patterson Partnership
OHMG constructed Queen’s Elms two storey Student Services Administration Building which provides a reception and security centre, a Student Services Centre and Queen’s Elms Halls of Residence, consisting of 957 student en-suite bedsitting rooms together with warden and deputy warden accommodation, laundry building, drainage and site works.
The project consisted of two main contracts; the first at a value of £12 million was won by traditional competitive tendering and was carried out under the auspices of a partnering arrangement which included the design team and all major sub-contractors and suppliers. After a two-day seminar, partnering champions where chosen to represent the Client, Contractor and Design Team to guide the project to completion. Through the successful completion of the works and achievement of the extremely tight completion timescales we were able to successfully negotiate the second £14 million portion of the works with the University. The same partnering arrangement was put in place for the second section of the works and it was instrumental in ensuring the final successful delivery of the scheme.
Phase 1 included the construction of 14 three storey student accommodation blocks which provided a total of 462 en-suite rooms including warden and deputy warden accommodation.
Phase 2 included the construction of 15 three storey student accommodation blocks providing a total of 495 en-suite rooms including deputy warden accommodation.
Other works involved the demolition of four ten-storey tower blocks to make way for a series of attractive new low-rise residences complete with social hub building in the centre, set within a landscaped master plan.
The new social hub at the centre of the new Queen’s Elms Halls of Residence development provides essential student community facilities for this residential island close to the heart of Belfast city centre. The hub makes provision for cafeteria areas, a walk-in coffee shop of retail standard, juice bar, franchised supermarket, ATM point, laundry and an extensive catering and conference facility.
A multi-functional room is located at lower ground floor level which can be sub-divided into smaller areas with a sound-reducing sliding partition.
The student services centre is a landmark building designed to enhance the student/visitor experience of the newly created Queen’s Elms Village.
- Traditional Procurement Route; JCT Standard Form of Building Contract Private With Quantities 1998
- Demolitions; 5 separate asbestos removals (non-notifiable asbestos containing materials & sprayed on asbestos products that required the most onerous removal procedures)
- Refurbishment works of existing blocks
- Live site; adjacent to existing occupied accommodation blocks with an average of 1500 students in residence during term
- Phased construction
- Facilities include; laundry unit, shop, kitchen, bar, dining area & conference rooms
- Provided cost savings, including the substitution of precast concrete crib wall & decorative anchor block walls for the traditionally designed in-situ reinforced concrete retaining walls. The crib & anchor walling systems were installed with minimum excavations & temporary supports compared to the 6m deep excavations & close trench sheeting that would have been required for the reinforced concrete walls
- Handover achieved on time
- Complete landscaping scheme
- Major services diversions & new services infrastructure including new heating mains installation system fed from central boilerhouse.