South East Regional College, Downpatrick
- Project Category: Further Education
- Project Name: South East Regional College, Downpatrick
- Client: East Down Educational Partnership
- Location: Market Street, Downpatrick, Co. Down, BT30 6LZ, N.I.
- Architect: Kennedy Fitzgerald Architects LLM
The South East Regional Colleges in East Down was part of a project which involved the Design, Build, Finance and Operate 3 no new Colleges in East Down. These are Downpatrick, Ballynahinch and Newcastle, all with associated external and site development works.
South Eastern Regional College (SERC) is a top 20 UK college striving to be a top 20 global college by 2020. With over 30,000 annual enrolments and 1,200 staff, it has been described as the cutting edge college of the Northern Ireland Further Education sector.
- Downpatrick Campus
In Downpatrick SERC transformed its current building into a modern teaching facility fully equipped for 21st century learning. The Downpatrick College has a GFA of 18,500m² with a contemporary design comprising of glazed curtain walling and aluminium roofing in conjunction with more traditional materials of brickwork and rendering.
The scheme was carried out in two phases; Phase 1 was the construction of the four storey college which fronts onto Market Street. The building provides teaching facilities for various subjects including Information Technology, Catering, Health and Beauty. Phase 2 comprised of a central five storey College building and a two storey workshop building. Works carried out in phase 2 also provided a seamless link from Market Street to the main college building, retaining its current prominent position in the centre of Downpatrick.
O’Hare & McGovern have successfully delivered and met the Employers sustainability requirements on the South East Regional College Downpatrick by achieving a Very Good BREEAM rating.
- Very Good BREEAM rating
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) Framework Procurement; Bespoke form of contract based on JCT 2002
- PFI (Private Funding Initiative)
- New build (Design & Build); 4 storey with 2 storey workshop building block (18,500m² GFA)
- Live restricted site within grounds of existing campus in town centre location
- Contaminated land on site; Due to an old Gas Works being located in the car park region of the site, contaminated land was addressed in accordance with environmental procedures & an environmental consultant was employed to carry out the correct protocol
- Limited working hours
- Facilities includes; underground car parking, a full height atrium at entrance, double height gymnasium, workshops, IT classrooms, hair & beauty training facilities, cafeteria, restaurant & training kitchens with a basement plant room
- Tempoary decant college accommodation was constructed for teaching purposes during the new build programme.