St Mary’s College
- Project Category: Secondary
- Project Name: St Mary’s College
- Client: St Canice’s Educational Trust
- Location: 35 Northland Rd, Derry, BT48 0AN, N.I
- Architect: Robinson Patterson Partnership in association with HLM Architects
This contract was to Design, Build, Finance & Operate this College in Derry under PPP Procurement.
St Mary’s College has a compact efficient arrangement on three levels, lower ground, ground and first and facilitates 825 pupils.
The works extended to associated external works which included the demolition of the existing St Mary’s College which was temporarily relocated to the existing school building on this site to facilitate the new build of their school on the existing site. The construction of the new 11,491m² College was carried out in two main phases; Phase 1 being the construction of the new College building with associated works. Phase 2 included the demolition of the existing building, the construction of the playing fields and completion of the main entrance with parking areas.
The buildings very efficient circulation system wraps itself around the central spine facilities, creating a very simple hierarchy of primary and secondary circulation routes. The spine is punctured by large multi-level courtyard spaces bringing light and ventilation to the heart of the building. The selection of materials evokes a building contemporary in design. The steel frame construction and minimal material palette of brick, composite panel and aluminium windows are both cost effective and reflective of the schools status as a ‘specialist science/technological’ school. The extensive facilities includes a performing arts/theatre area and sporting facilities such as a third generation floodlit, synthetic general purpose pitch, grass Gaelic pitches, all weather hockey pitches and a running track with changing facilities.
- Very Good BREEAM rating
- Design & Build
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) Framework Procurement; Bespoke form of contract based on JCT 2002
- PFI (Private Funding Initiative)
- Live site; existing school remained occupied on site; adjacent to residential area therefore phased construction was carried out
- Demolition of the existing school & removal of asbestos
- Temporary facilities provided with temporary car park
- Facilities include; Sports hall & gymnasium, performing arts/theatre area, third generation floodlit pitch, synthetic general purpose pitch, grass gaelic pitches, all-weather hockey pitches, a running track, changing facilities & car parking with new access roads
- Circulation system design wraps itself around the central spine facilities & is punctured by large multi-level courtyard spaces bringing light & ventilation to the heart of the building
- A panic system is integrated into all the digital handset