St Marys Primary School
- Project Category: Primary
- Project Name: St Marys Primary School
- Client: Belfast Education Services
- Location: 16 Ballymena Rd, Portglenone, Ballymena, BT44 8BL, N.I.
- Architect: Kennedy Fitzgerald & 3D Reid
The project involved the construction of a new 7 classroom school of 3000m2, with separate nursery building, and associated site works together with the demolition of the existing school which remained fully operational throughout the new build process.
The PPP (Public-Private-Partnership) contract involved the Design, Build, Operation and Maintenance of the school. As the Main Contractor, O’Hare & McGovern worked in partnership to provide a new award-winning school to facilitate over 200 students.
The new buildings comprised classrooms, an assembly hall, school meal accommodation, reception area, staff rooms, Principal office and administration offices.
This project was designed as a structural steel frame with timber truss roof, concrete tiled roof, cavity brickwork and rendered walls with rigid cavity insulation as this was deemed the most economical in terms of cost, lifecycle and ability to achieve a high level of insulation and air tightness.
Facing brick and rendered panels were selected for the exterior walls in conjunction with the end user requirements to achieve the required colour; ensuring consideration was given to durability, maintenance and cost.
The same consideration was given to all the internal finishes. Prior to any building commencing, a large culvert, a reinforced concrete head wall and holding chamber were installed to divert a small river which ran through the site. Landscaping to the site included the planting of over 40 trees within a nature garden. A large area which was to be sown out was finished with a rolled out turfed lawn, allowing instant access for the pupils at handover.
Due to St Mary’s being a phase project; there were several key issues which included; decanting of the existing school mobiles to a new location adjacent to the main school building to allow the new works to commence, the demolition of the existing school and the removal of prefabricated buildings. All in keeping with a live site and ensuring continued use of the primary school and nursery at St Mary’s. Decanting was carried out with the full agreement and co-operation of the school principal which was fully planned and executed outside school time.
Clear segregation of pupil movements from vehicular activity is provided for safety. A separate service access is provided away from the main entrance. Limited car parking has been provided in close proximity to the School and Nursery to prevent the site being overwhelmed. The main car park is located discreetly at the bottom of the site, but still easily accessible to both buildings.
- Public Private Partnership (PPP) Framework Procurement including ITN and BAFO
- PFI (Private Funding Initiative)
- Live school on site, phased construction & temporary facilities provided/transferred adjacent to the main school building
- Demolition of the existing school & removal of prefabricated buildings
- Facilities includes; an assembly hall, school meal accommodation, reception area, staff room & offices
- Diversion/Installation of utilities; water, electricity & gas
- Landscaping to the site included the planting of over 40 trees to create a nature garden
- Timber truss roof
- Cavity brickwork & rendered walls with rigid cavity insulation was used this was deemed the most economical in terms of cost, lifecycle & ability to achieve a high level of insulation & air tightness
- Car parking with new access roads