The Quays Shopping Complex
- Project Category: Retail and Fit Out
- Project Name: The Quays Shopping Complex
- Client: Parker Green Ltd
- Location: The Quays Shopping Centre, Newry, Co. Down BT35 8QS, N.I
- Architect: WDR & RT Taggarts
The Quays shopping complex is identified as one of Northern Ireland’s top shopping destinations, situated in the heart of Newry City Centre, overlooking the canal in the historic Albert Basin area of the city.
OHMG constructed the new shopping mall back in 1999, with works including restaurants and a multi-screen cinema together with associated external, site development works and store fit-outs.
Constructed on the site of the old coal yards which served the Albert Basin, an old warehouse, which was part of these yards was incorporated into the centre and is now used as office and retail space.
Since the official opening in 1999, The Quays has brought a wide variety of new stores to Newry, evolving to welcome many more national and international as well as local independent retailers, providing local people and visitors to the city with the latest high street fashions, homeware, giftware and designer trends.
The Quays integrates a unique blend of leisure and shopping facilities, housing Sainsbury's supermarket, the first Debenhams department store to open in Newry and a ten screen Omniplex Cinema with restaurants, cafes, top brand retail multiples and a number of independent retailers. Impressive tenant line-up includes top retail names such as Next, River Island, Waterstones, Monsoon, Oasis, HMV, Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge, H&M and many more.
The Quays has maximised its border location on the Belfast-Dublin economic corridor and has a tenant mix which includes major retail brands from UK & Ireland. The centre has experienced shoppers from the Republic of Ireland, who cross the border to Newry to buy cheaper goods due to difference in currency. This remarkable increase in cross-border trade has become so widespread that it has lent its name to a general phenomenon known as the Newry effect.
Other facilities include parking spaces for over 1300 cars, with areas designated for special needs and parent and child.
- One of Northern Ireland’s top shopping destinations
- Newry City Centre
- First Debenhams Department Store in Newry
- Multi-screen Omniplex Cinema
- Store fit-outs; River Island, Next, HMV, Topshop/Topman, Miss Selfridge, H&M, Sainsburys and Debenhams etc
- Large car park (over 1300 spaces)
- Constructed on the site of old coal yards
- Site development/landscape works