The Space, South Eastern Regional College (SERC)
- Project Category: Further Education
- Project Name: The Space, South Eastern Regional College (SERC)
- Client: South Eastern Regional College
- Location: 3 Castle Park Road, Bangor, BT20 4TD, N.I.
- Architect: Hamilton Architects
OHMG developed the new Performing art, Technology and Innovation Centre with related/associated works for the South Eastern Regional College at the Bangor Campus.
The Space offers first class facilities to those in the North Down and Ards areas, featuring drama and dance studios, a professional theatre, professional recording studios, a conference hall and industry standard computing laboratories. The development supplies incubation facilities and comprises high end industry equipment.
The new build development is formed from 2 blocks which are connected by a glass atrium; the 3 storey Performance Arts Centre and the 2 storey Technology and Innovation centre.
The building provides a combined centre for innovative engineering and creative technologies. The project also included minor reconfiguration of some existing rooms within the main Bangor campus, constructing piled foundations, steel frame superstructure, M&E engineering services, specialist engineering & technology fixtures and fittings within a new state of the art Technology and Innovation Workshop and external site development works.
Adjacent buildings remained occupied during works, therefore working restrictions applied including restricted delivery times and working around exam periods.
Acoustic sound specification was achieved within all sound studios and the auditorium which are isolated from the super structure and acts as a ‘room within a room’ with floated floor slabs, vibration isolation and elastomeric mounts. In order to mitigate sound transfer acoustic mastic seals have been installed at structural joints.
All services are acoustically lined and contain an acoustic baffle box to dampen external noise. The enhanced external façade also comprises a ‘twin wall’ construction to minimise noise transfer.
Glazed areas comprise an internal glazed section and an external façade with a 300mm gap acting as a noise buffer. Acoustic padding has been installed on all glazed fixing to prevent noise transgression.
Mechanical works; HVAC plant installation, HVAC BEMS controls, ground source heat pump installation, building services installations including plumbing, sanitary ware, heating & ventilation systems, VRV refrigeration systems, provision of rainwater harvesting system, compressed air installation and domestic hot water installation.
Electrical works; Main switchgear installations, sub mains distribution, general lighting, emergency lighting, exterior lighting, specialist stage lighting and audio systems, fire alarm installations, structured cabling installation, general power, lightning protection installation, solar PV installation, CCTV, Access control and mechanical plant wiring. Lift works also included the provision of passenger and goods lifts.
- Very Good BREEAM rating
- Traditional Procurement Route; NEC3 Option A
- Live site; Bangor Academy & private apartments adjacent to the site & SERC Bangor campus opposite the site
- Brownfield site on temporary car park used by SERC
- Facilities includes; bespoke accommodation for the Schools of Manufacturing & Electrical Engineering, Computer & Software Engineering & Performing & Creative Arts
- Specialist engineering systems; Rain Water Harvesting, Photo Volteac, Air Source Heat Pumps, Compressed Air Installation, CEMS Controls Installations & a Heat Recovery VRF System
- Achieved Acoustic Sound Specification
- Roof comprises an inner & outer leaf with 200mm of sound absorbing material in-between mitigating the ‘drumming’ effect from rainfall
- Rainwater Harvesting Installation – 2 x 6000L collection tanks
- 3 Nr 25KW Air source Heat Pump Installation