- Project Category: Residential
- Project Name: The Village
- Client: Fold Housing Association
- Location: Moltke Street Belfast, BT12, N.I.
O’Hare & McGovern Ltd were involved in a major housing regeneration project in South Belfast, replacing longstanding, old homes with new bright modern homes.
The scheme offers accommodation for families, disabled and single people. It is made up of 2, 3 & 4 bedroom houses, bungalows and apartments with ground floor units constructed to wheelchair standard.
Through the collaborative approach with the Design Team, Community, Department for Social Development and The Housing Executive, as the Main Contractor we constructed a total of 87 new homes.
Phase 1 of this social housing scheme included the construction of 37 properties (29 nr houses and 8 nr apartments). Phase 2 involved the construction of 50 properties (42 nr houses and 8 nr apartments).
Homes on the existing site were demolished on the brownfield site with asbestos removal carried out and the decontamination of soils.
The Village development was within close proximity to a number of bus stops that link in and out of the City Centre and local amenities are situated nearby. The Village development is near to both Belfast City Hospital and the City Hospital railway station, therefore working hours were restricted, noise monitoring was carried out, wheel wash facilities were installed, a traffic plan was implemented and hoardings erected to site perimeters to ensure the safety and privacy of locals.
The construction of The Village was delivered under the Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3 initiative and complies with the Secured by Design and Lifetime Homes criteria. They were completed with associated engineering services, external & site development works.
The timber frame construction also comprised renewable energy systems; solar panelling & rainwater harvesting.
- Traditional Procurement Route; NEC3 Short Form
- Site in City Centre, adjacent to residential area, local hospitals & businesses
- Restricted, sloping, brownfield site with contaminated soils
- Demolition; asbestos removal
- Timber frame construction
- Siteworks; access roads, public roads & parking
- Renewable energy systems installed; solar panels & rainwater harvesting
- Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3
- Secured by Design & Lifetime Homes criteria