Valley Leisure Centre
- Project Category: Sports and Leisure
- Project Name: Valley Leisure Centre
- Client: Newtownabbey Borough Council
- Location: 40 Church Rd, Newtownabbey, BT36 7LJ, N.I.
- Architect: Kennedy Fitzgerald & Associates
This project was undertaken as a refurbishment project to the existing Valley Leisure Centre which is a public leisure facility. The work comprised of the removal of existing external cladding and replacement with new cladding, conversion of redundant ten pin bowling facility into a fitness suite, and refurbishment of the pool hall and plant.
Initially O’Hare & McGovern executed a condition survey to establish the full extent of all alteration works required. The alterations involved the removal of the cladding and the demolition of cavity wall construction and specific elements of the structural frame to the pool area and leisure facilities.
We implemented all appropriate control procedure to work alongside the existing leisure centre operations and to ensure the delivery of this project within the specified programme. The specific elements of alterations work are identified below;
- Substructure & structure steelwork- this was erected as a two storey structural frame
- Windows, curtain walling and roofing
- Internal walls and partitions
- Wall, floor and ceiling dinishes - internal fixtures and fittings
- Mechanical, electrical and lift installations
- Siteworks, drainage and landscaping.
The provision of Mechanical and Electrical Services Installations associated with the phased refurbishment of the existing Leisure Centre, comprising of the following key areas main pool, learner pool, leisure features, sports hall, squash courts, fitness suite and social areas.
Works were carried out over a number of phases, in order to minimise the extent of decant operations, and maintain live operations to the existing Valley Leisure Centre without disruption to their business and without inconvenience to the public. M&E installations included; Pool hall ventilation installation, kitchen and restaurant installation, lighting and emergency lighting installations, fire detection and alarm installation, public address systems, pool safety and alarm systems and IT systems.
- Refurbishment of pool hall
- Removal of existing cladding & replacement of new cladding
- Conversion of bowling facility into fitness suite
- Demolition of cavity wall construction
- Natural gas distribution installation
- Heat source installation, comprising gas-fired boiler plant
- Space heating installation, by means of natural convectors plumbing, soils and wastes & sanitary ware installations
- Mechanical supply & extract ventilation systems
- Automatic controls / Building Energy Management System (BEMS)
- Comfort cooling installations & combined heat and power (CHP) installation